Frequently Asked Questions

Below are some frequently asked questions we hear from graduate students. For more information, please contact the Graduate School and we will be happy to assist you.


Are any of your degrees offered online?

Yes, the University has several Masters and Doctoral level degrees offered online. For more information on our online degrees, visit our Online Campus website.  You can also search online degrees by level at

Am I required to attend New Graduate Student Orientation?

New Graduate Student Orientation is optional for most students, but some departments do require that their new students attend orientation. The Graduate School highly recommends attendance as well. It is not just to show you the campus or to help you get your new ID card. Orientation is a wonderful tool to introduce you to the unique aspects of being a graduate student as well as useful topics such as research ethics, graduate assistantships, and working with your advisor.

I am a non-degree seeking and I would like to change to a degree-seeking program. What do I need to do?

To change from non-degree seeking to degree-seeking, you will need to reapply to the Graduate School with an online application form, a $30 application fee, and any additional materials that the degree program requires. If you have already submitted transcripts and GRE test scores, you will not be required to submit them a second time.

How do I switch from my current degree program to a different program?

You should submit a Request to Change Major/Program to the Graduate School. We can then send a request for the change to the new academic department for your acceptance. You should contact the new department to see if they require additional application materials as well. You will remain in your current program until you are accepted into the new program. Additional information can be found on the Costs and Funding page.

How do I change my major advisor?

Your new advisor should send an email to in the Graduate School to let us know that he/she has agreed to be your new advisor. The email should include your name and ID number, your program of study, and your current advisor should be copied on the email as well so that we know he/she is agreeable to the change.

When should I submit my committee and title forms?

The Master’s Program and Doctoral Program calendars are great tools to let you know at what times during your degree program you should submit certain forms. Please visit the current Master/Doctoral Program Calendar.

I am going to a conference in my field; am I eligible to receive a travel grant?

Travel Grant information and eligibility requirements.


What are the requirements to transfer in a course?

For the courses to be eligible to transfer, they must follow the below regulations:

Transfer of Credit Regulations Established by the Graduate School for the Various Master’s Degrees:

Transfer of Credit is permissible for master’s programs only. Transfer of credit is not acceptable for doctoral degrees. For doctoral candidates, at the discretion of the advisory committee, the program of study may be adjusted in lieu of work taken at other colleges or universities and recognized by the candidate’s committee, but it will not appear on the University of Arkansas academic record.

Criteria for Acceptable Transfer Credit:

  • The course must have been regularly offered by a regionally accredited graduate school.
  • The course must have been a bona fide graduate level course, approved for graduate credit and taught by a member of the graduate faculty.
  • The student desiring to transfer graduate credit must have been enrolled as a graduate student in the graduate school at the institution offering the course.
  • The course must appear on an official transcript as graduate credit from the institution offering the course.
  • The course grade must be a “B” or “A.” (The student’s grade point average does NOT include grades on transfer courses.)
  • The course must be recommended by the student’s major adviser and be applicable to the degree requirement at the University of Arkansas.
  • The course must not have been taken by correspondence or for extension credit.
  • The course must be acceptable to the department concerned and to the Graduate Dean.
  • The student must have satisfied the 24-week residence requirements. (The student must have satisfactorily completed a total of 24 hours of graded graduate course work taken in residence.)
  • The course must have been taken within the time limit of the student’s program at the University of Arkansas.
  • Credit from foreign universities is typically not acceptable for transfer because of academic and procedural differences between U.S. regionally accredited and foreign institutions, but petition may be made to the Graduate Dean on a case by case basis.

Note: Graduate credit cannot be transferred to satisfy any of the requirements for the M.B.A. degree unless the school at which the course was taken is accredited by A.A.C.S.B. This requirement is not specified by the Graduate School, but by the Graduate School of Business.

What do I need to submit to transfer in a course from another institution?

An original transcript along with a transfer of credit form signed by the major advisor will need to be submitted to the graduate school.

What is the mailing address for transcripts and application materials?

Our mailing address is:

Graduate Admissions

Gearhart Hall 213

340 N. Campus Dr.

1 University of Arkansas

Fayetteville, AR 72701

Can I arrange a campus visit?

We strongly encourage prospective students to visit campus. The Graduate School will plan a custom visit based on your needs. Campus Visit Request

Where should I send my letters of recommendation?

After applying, you will be sent an email from the Graduate School explaining our electronic reference letter system. You will provide email addresses for your recommenders and we will send them instructions to submit their letters directly. Letters of recommendation that are in hardcopy should be sent to the department to which you are applying.

How can I check the status of my application?

Applicants can check the status of their application online through the University’s UAConnect website. Once you have applied, you will be sent an email with your University ID number and instructions on how to create a UARK email address and account. You will use these to log on to UAConnect. There will be a “To Do” list on the homepage of your UAConnect account after you log in that will let you know if we need any more materials, if your application is complete, and/or if you application is under review by the academic department.

How does the graduate application process work?

The application process at the University of Arkansas is two-fold. First, you will submit your application along with the application fee of $60, an official copy of your transcripts from every institution attended and a standardized test score (ie. GRE, GMAT, MAT) to the Graduate School. Non-native English speakers should submit a measure of English language proficiency (TOEFL or IELTS). This requirement will be waived upon proof of an U.S. master’s degree. Our admissions specialists will evaluate your application for admission to the Graduate School; qualifying applications are forwarded to the department for which you are applying. An application fee is required for each program you apply to if you are applying to more than one. The application for admission can be found online at

What is the application deadline for admission?

Since applying to the Graduate School is a two-step process (both the Graduate School and to a specific academic department), our applications have different deadlines depending on which department you are applying to. The Graduate School’s deadline will always match the deadline for the academic department. If an academic department does not have their own deadline, you should follow these deadlines for application consideration:

Domestic Students International Students
Fall: August 1st Fall: April 1st
Spring: December 1st Spring: October 1st
Summer: April 15th Summer: March 1st

Keep in mind, many of our departments have separate application deadlines that you will need to meet in order to be considered for their program and for graduate assistantships. A late fee of $25 ($50 for international applicants) will be assessed to all applications that are received after the deadline, so we strongly encourage you to complete the application early

What is the application fee? Are there circumstances in which the fee can be waived?

The application fee is $60 for all new applicants. For applicants who have had previous graduate enrollment at the UA, the fee is $30. You may qualify for an application fee waiver if:

  • You are a Ronald E. McNair Scholar (a certifying statement from the McNair Scholars program director is required). Please, submit a request for an application fee waiver.
  • You are a Project 1000 participant,
  • You have been awarded a fellowship from The National Gem Consortium,,
  • You are a full-time employee at the UA main campus, You have attended a UA summer REU program, or
  • You are a Senior Citizen.

What are the minimum Graduate School admission requirements?

You must have a bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution of higher education, with a grade point average of 3.0 on the last 60 credit hours of academic coursework OR a 3.0 cumulative grade average. You must also meet the minimum requirements for the program to which you are applying; requirements vary by program.

Am I required to take the GRE or another standardized test for admission to the U of A?

As of Fall 2014, the Graduate School is requiring the GRE or another standardized graduate test, such as the MAT, for admission. Most times, this information can be found on the department’s website.

What is the minimum acceptable GRE score?

Acceptable GRE scores are determined by the individual programs.

What is the average GMAT score for business students? How many MBA students do you admit each year?

There is not an overarching GMAT score for the college, but the MBA program has an average score of 655. There are two MBA programs the EMBA (part-time 2 year) admitting 55-65 students each year, while the full-time MBA program admits 35-45 students a year. For additional information on the Graduate School of Business visit:

What kind of financial assistance is available to graduate students at the University of Arkansas?

The University of Arkansas awarded over $3 million in fellowships just this year alone! Some of the numerous funding opportunities available include:

  • Graduate Assistant Positions: All graduate assistants receive a monthly stipend, and most cover the cost of tuition.
  • Benjamin Franklin Lever Tuition Fellowship: A tuition only fellowship for graduate students who contribute to the diversity needs of their program.
  • Distinguished Doctoral Fellowship and Doctoral Academy Fellowship: These are the university’s highest awards, and include a 12-month graduate assistant position (see above), PLUS a fellowship stipend of either $20,000/year or $10,000 per year for four years.

Additional information about these opportunities can be found on the Cost and Funding page.

I started my degree at another institution and am now moving to Arkansas. Can I finish my graduate degree at the U of A?

The University of Arkansas will allow Master’s students to transfer in up to 6 graduate credit hours toward a master’s degree, where a “B” or better was earned and approved by their academic department. Doctoral students cannot transfer in credit hours, but academic departments may choose to modify the requirements for doctoral level degrees based on previous academic work completed at another institution. This is on a case by case basis and must be approved by the department chair person.

How do I establish state residency?

To establish state residency you will need to establish a domicile in the state of Arkansas and continue that residency for a period of six months. After six months you can appeal for a change of residency status with the Office of the Registrar. If you live in Texarkana or Bowie County, Texas you are already considered in-state. See Resident Reclassification for Fee Purposes for more information.

Is there on-campus housing for graduate students or married students?

The University of Arkansas currently has on-campus housing for graduate students in the Duncan Ave. Apartments. For information visit the University Housing website. Currently there is no on-campus housing for married students. The Fayetteville area does offer several other housing options for students many of which are on the university bus routes. More information can be found on the Off-Campus Housing site. 

What is the minority population on campus? Are there resources for people of color at the U of A?

Minority students make up 20 percent of the student body, with the largest groups being Hispanic (8.1%) and African American (4.6%).  The Center for Multicultural and Diversity Education, located in the Student Union is an academic retention center that supports underrepresented students and celebrates diversity and inclusion through community outreach and scholarship. The Center encourages students to share ideas and resources through academic and cultural programming, empowering students to be agents of social change in an increasingly diverse society. Visit the Multicultural Center website for more information.

What is the international student population on campus? Are there resources for international students at the U of A?

There are currently 1387 international students on campus, 706 which are graduate students. We invite you to visit the International Education webpages. This link is a portal leading to the websites of the various offices on campus that serve our valued international students. This link highlights the University of Arkansas’s commitment to international students and international services for the entire community. Here students may explore the offices of International Admissions, International Students & Scholars, Spring International Language Center, International Sponsored Students, and Study Abroad & International Exchange.

What is the average cost to complete a graduate degree at the U of A?

Cost information for completing a degree differs based on the number of hours in the program. Masters programs can range anywhere from 30 hours to more than 60 hours total. You can use the Graduate Catalog ( find out how many credit hours are required for your degree program. A useful tool for calculating an average cost per semester can be found on the Treasurer’s Office website. You can calculate cost based on your specific degree program and how many hours you would like to take each semester.


I am finishing my degree in summer. Which commencement ceremony can I attend?

You are eligible to attend either the Spring or the Fall Commencement ceremonies. When you apply to graduate through UAConnect, you will be asked if you would like to attend commencement and which ceremony you would like to sign up for. You are only allowed to attend one commencement per degree earned. More information on commencement can be found on the Registrar’s Office webpage.

What is the difference between commencement and graduation?

Commencement— The ceremony in which graduates students are honored for receiving their degrees. 

Graduation— The processing of completing all degree requirements so the degree can be awarded. The graduation process is completed by every student receiving a degree, whether or not they are participating in the Commencement Ceremony.

How do I apply to participate in the All-University Commencement ceremony?

The application to participate in the All-University Commencement Ceremony is part of the application to apply to graduate. More information can be found on the Office of the Registrar site.

How do I apply for graduation?

Students can apply to graduate through the Student Center in UAConnect. From the Student Homepage in UAConnect, students should click on the Degree Audit tile to find the link to apply for graduation. Failure to apply to graduate by the Registrar’s Office deadlines will result in a late fee. More information, a list of deadlines and a list of graduation application fees can be found on the Office of the Registrar site.

If I applied for graduation and did not finish my degree requirements, what do I need to do?

You will need to contact the Registrar’s Office at 479-575-5451 to change your date of graduation to the semester in which you will finish your degree.

What is a graduation date?

The graduation date is the date in which degrees are awarded. This is also the date that shows on the transcript and the diploma as the date the degree was received. At the University of Arkansas, degrees are awarded three times a year, Spring, Summer and Fall. Please contact the Graduate School to find out the exact graduation dates of any given year.

When will my degree be posted on my transcript?

If all degree requirements are met, the degree will be posted 8-10 weeks after the graduation date.

When will I receive my diploma?

Diplomas are mailed out by the Registrar’s Office approximately 8-10 weeks after the graduation date. More information can be found on the Office of the Registrar site.

What forms are needed for me to be able to graduate as a master's student?

  • Master's Record of Progress
  • Master's Advisory Committee Report
  • Master's Thesis Title (Only needed if completing a thesis)
  • Master's Thesis Committee Report (Only needed if completing a thesis)
  • These forms can be found on the Graduate School and International Education Forms page.

What forms are needed for me to be able to graduate as a doctoral student?

**The Doctoral Record of Progress form will be sent to the major adviser when the Graduate School receives notice of the final defense. Announcement of a doctoral candidate's defense must be submitted to the Graduate School at least TWO WEEKS prior to the date of the defense. Submit announcements by email to


Residence Status of Native Americans

Board Policy 520.1 (Revised January 29, 1989)Native American people in other states belonging to tribes that formerly lived in Arkansas before relocation, and whose names are on the rolls in tribal headquarters, shall be classified as in-state students of Arkansas for tuition and fee purposes on all campuses of the University of Arkansas. Tribes so identified include the Caddo, Cherokee, Chickasaw, Choctaw, Creek, Delaware, Kickapoo, Osage, Peoria, Quapaw, Shawnee, and Tunica.

Members of the Armed Forces and Their Dependents

Board Policy 520.7 (Revised January 18, 1985) Effective January 1, 1975, members of the Armed Forces who are stationed in the state of Arkansas pursuant to military orders, and their unemancipated dependents, shall be entitled to classification as in-state students for fee-paying purposes (per Arkansas Stat. Ann. 80-3366).Persons continuously domiciled in Arkansas for at least twelve consecutive months, who enter active military service from this state and who maintain Arkansas as the permanent home of record while on active military duty, and their dependents, shall be entitled to classification as in-state students for fee-paying purposes. This provision is forfeited if the military person does not return to Arkansas within twelve months after separation, discharge, or retirement from active duty. Persons serving in active military service who demonstrate a change of bona fide domicile from another state to Arkansas at least twelve consecutive months prior to separation, discharge, or retirement from active military duty, and their dependents, shall be entitled to classification as in-state students for fee-paying purposes. This provision is forfeited if the military person does not return to Arkansas within twelve months after separation, discharge, or retirement from active duty.

Students from Texarkana, Texas, and Bowie County, Texas

Board Policy 520.10 (Adopted November 16, 1984)In accordance with the reciprocity agreement described in H.C.R. 32, signed by the Governor of Arkansas on February 12, 1965, residents of Texarkana, Texas, and Bowie County, Texas, will be classified as in-state students for university fee purposes at the University of Arkansas.

Theses & Dissertations

When is my thesis/dissertation due?

Due dates for completing your degree, applying to graduate, and submitting your thesis/dissertation can be found on our commencement information page You should also check out our Guide to Preparing Theses and Dissertations for more information on how to submit. Please be sure to only use the most current guide off the website. Do not use an old guide or another student’s paper for formatting and information.

What format does my thesis or dissertation need to follow?

The thesis or dissertation needs to follow the style guide of your discipline as well as following The Guide to Thesis and Dissertations.

How can I make sure that I followed the correct format?

This office requires that a preliminary copy of the master’s thesis or doctoral dissertation be presented to the Graduate School to check for formatting problems and adherence to page numbering specifications. This will save you time, hassle, and money in the event that any changes are needed. Do NOT use a previous master’s thesis or doctoral dissertation as a sole model for your paper!

What forms need to be submitted with my thesis?

Required forms are listed on page 10 in the Guide to Theses and Dissertations. The necessary forms can be found on the Graduate School and International Education Forms page.

What forms need to be submitted with my dissertation?

Required forms are listed on page 10 in the Guide to Theses and Dissertations. The necessary forms can be found on the Forms page.