August 21, 2014
Voting: Professors K. Collins, T. P. Cronan, V.H. Hunt, K.L. Needy, P.R. Selvam, J.T. Scott, F. Spiegel, R. Warren, J.D. Wiersma; Ms. Mary Margaret Hui
Non-Voting: Professors J. Ganson, P.R. Koski, M.T. Miller, Y. Murphy-Erby, A. O’Leary-Kelly, L.J. Robertson
Voting: Professors V. Anand, N.D. Dennis, A.J. Dowdle, K.S. Grover, P.R. Selvam; one representative from the GDSAB
Non-Voting: Ms. M. Harwood-Rom
SECRETARY: Ms. T. M. Fisher
The meeting was called to order at 2:00 p.m. by Chair Patricia Koski
- Minutes for the May 15, 2014, Graduate Council meeting stand approved, as no changes were suggested. (Please review the Graduate Council Minutes).
- The Council welcomed Ron Warren, our new representative from Fulbright College of Arts and Sciences.
- Professor Koski announced:
- The Graduate School hosted a successful new graduate student orientation the day before and a successful Teaching Assistant Orientation on Monday and Tuesday of this week.
- We will need committee members for the Library Committee, Calendar Committee, University Program Review Committee and University Course & Programs Committee. We will select these members at the September meeting.
- The Academic Appeals Committee of the Graduate Council consists of: Kathleen Collins, Paul Cronan, Andrew Dowdle, Valerie Hunt, Panneer Selvam, Jacquelyn Wiersma and two student representatives from the Graduate Dean’s Student Advisory Board.
- The graduate faculty representatives from each college are as follows; these are the only ones allowed to sign graduate faculty requests: Paul Cronan (WCOB), Kenda Grover (EDUC), Valerie Hunt (INTD), Andrew Dowdle (ARSC), Panneer Selvam (ENGR), Jacquelyn Wiersma (ALS)
- The Academic Appeals Committee met the day before and heard one case.
- The Teaching Assistant Effectiveness Advisory Committee (TAEAC) assisted with the TA orientation. With a new GSIE staff member hired, the TAEAC will begin meeting again.
- That she would attach a list of committee members to the minutes (Attachment A).
- Dean Needy also mentioned that we hosted two successful orientations for new international students (graduate and undergraduate).
- Judy Ganson asked the Council members to remind their students that a quiet study lounge reserved for graduate students has been opened in Mullins Library.
- Professor Koski reminded the Council members to poll their constituencies about the proposed changes to the Spoken English Language Proficiency requirement for non-native speakers of English which was first heard at the May Council meeting. We will vote on this in September.
- The items listed on the agenda as Old Business were tabled as no representatives from the programs were in attendance.
- New Business: The Council unanimously approved a change to the Teaching Assistant Effectiveness Advisory Committee to add a representative from the Teaching and Faculty Support Center. This requires no further approval and will be implemented immediately.
- The course change report contained in Attachment B was approved and will go next to the Faculty Senate.
- The graduate faculty recommendations contained in Attachment C were approved.
There being no other business, the Council adjourned at 2:22 p.m. The Council will meet next on Thursday, September 18th at 2:00 in Upchurch Conference Room of Bell Engineering.
Submitted by: Patricia R. Koski, Chair
Approved by: Kim Needy, Dean