Thursday, November 20, 2014
Upchurch Conference Room, Bell Engineering
Please note that we have moved back to upchurch.
To assist council members in locating and reviewing Graduate Council agenda items in the CourseLeaf system, please review the instructions for Viewing Course and Program Proposals Pending Graduate Council Approval.
- Minutes for the September 18th, Graduate Council meeting will stand approved if no corrections are received. (Please review the Graduate Council Minutes) before the meeting.
- Report from the Academic Appeals Committee and the Teaching Effectiveness Advisory Committee.
- Old Business: None
- New Business, Program Changes, Fulbright College of Arts and Sciences
- Department of Art, Proposal to modify the curriculum in the MFA degree in Art (ARTMFA) by reducing the number of credit hours in studio courses from 45 to 42, increasing the number of art history hours from nine to twelve with selected courses required, removing a list of possible elective ARHS seminars from the Art History requirements, and making other minor changes.
- Department of Geosciences, Proposal to change the M.A. degree in Geography (GEOGMA) to an M.S. (GEOGMS) degree with resulting curricular changes.
- Department of English, Proposal to offer the graduate certificate in Technical Writing and Public Rhetorics (TWRHGC) on-line.
- Department of Mathematical Sciences, Proposal to modify the M.S. degree in Mathematics (MATHMS) by making comprehensive exam requirements more specific and adding a thesis option.
- Department of Philosophy, Proposal to change the Ph.D. degree in Philosophy (PHILPH) by eliminating the language requirement. Advisors will work with students to develop programs needed to acquire specialist knowledge as appropriate.
- Department of Psychological Sciences, Proposal to modify the Ph.D. degree in Psychology (PSYCPH) with a specialization in Clinical Psychology by eliminating the requirement for PSYC 5053, 6083 and 6223, and adding the requirement of PSYC 5313.
- School of Social Work, proposal to modify the MSW degree (SCWKMS) by removing a general practice course in the advanced year (SCWK 6013) in order to provide students with the opportunity to take a population specific practice course (either SCWK 6233 or SCWK 6243).
- New Business, Program Changes, College of Education and Health Professions, Eleanor Mann School of Nursing, Proposal to modify the post-BSN option in the Doctor of Nursing Practice (NURSDP) by adding the Family Nurse Practitioner concentration to the on-line offerings.
- New Business, Program Changes, College of Engineering, Proposal to modify the Ph.D. degree in Electrical Engineering (ELEGPH) by adding the following phrase to the requirements for the degree: “other conditions as stipulated in departmental guidelines for doctoral degrees.”
- New Business, Program Change, Walton College of Business, proposal to modify the course requirements for the Executive MBA program (BADMMB), to add five focus areas (Retail Marketing, Supply Chain, Finance, Entrepreneurship/Innovation, and Business Analytics), and to remove the restriction of “taught exclusively in Shanghai, China” from the focused study areas.
- New Business, New program proposal, Fulbright College of Arts and Sciences, proposal to create a graduate certificate in African and African American Studies (AASTGC)
- New Business, Policy Change: Should the Graduate School have a policy that prohibits students from providing refreshments for their committee members during oral defenses (of the candidacy exam, dissertation proposal, thesis or dissertation, etc.)?
- Course change reports from the University Course and Programs Committee (UCPC)
- Graduate faculty recommendations for faculty: A preliminary list is attached (Attachment A). A complete list will be distributed at the meeting.
- Other Business