Graduate Council Minutes
August 18, 2016
Voting: Professors J.R. Chimka, T.P. Cronan, N.D. Dennis, P.K. Dowe, J. Gigantino, V.H. Hunt, K. Korth, J.W. Murry, K.L. Needy, D. Shirey, J.C. Rupe, R. Warren
Non-Voting: Professors P.R. Koski, M.R. Evans, J. Penner-Williams
Voting: Professors V. Anand
Professors A.E. Ellstrand, LL. Lennertz; Dr. S. Adams
Note: Student representatives have not yet been selected.
SECRETARY: Ms. T. M. Fisher
GUESTS Professors P. Liu, A. Stewart
The meeting was called to order at 2:00 p.m. by Chair Patricia Koski
- Professor Koski announced two changes to the agenda: a) the item under new business, a proposed change to the M.A. degree in Physics, has been removed from the agenda at the request of the program; b) we do not need to identify a new member of the University Program Review Committee, because Andrew Dowdle, the current member, will continue for another year.
- Minutes for the June 16th, 2016, Graduate Council meeting stand approved, as no changes were suggested. (Graduate Council Minutes). Note: The Council did not meet in July.
Council members introduced themselves and we welcomed the following new members:
- Bumpers College: John Rupe (voting), Mike Evans (non-voting, ex officio)
- Fulbright College: Jim Gigantino (voting)
- College of Education and Health Professions: John Murry (voting) Janet Penner-Williams (non-voting, ex-officio)
- Walton College of Business: Alan Ellstrand (non-voting, ex officio)
- Professor V.H. Hunt told the Council about the successful New Graduate Student Orientation held the day before and Dean Needy welcomed the members to the Council.
- The Council elected Justin Chimka as the representative to the Library Committee. Ron Warren remains as the representative to the Calendar Committee.
- There was no old business.
- PBHL 4401 and SCWK 4253 were removed from the course change report because they are being proposed as 4000-level dual credit classes. The Council may be willing to vote on these two courses at a later date with additional information. The remaining courses were approved unanimously (Attachment A).
- The graduate faculty recommendations contained in Attachment B were approved unanimously either at the meeting or by email after the meeting.
There being no other business, the Council adjourned at 2:35 p.m. The Council will meet next on Thursday, September 15th, 2016, in the Upchurch Conference Room of Bell Engineering.
Submitted by: Patricia R. Koski, Chair
Approved by: Kim Needy, Dean