Graduate Council Minutes
March 17, 2016
Voting: Professors, J.R. Chimka, T.P. Cronan, N.D. Dennis, K.S. Grover, V.H. Hunt, K.L. Needy, J.T. Scott, D. Shirey, F. Spiegel, R. Warren; Mr. T. Talafuse
Non-Voting: Professors P.R. Koski, M.T. Miller, Y. Murphy-Erby, A. O’Leary-Kelly, L.J. Robertson
Voting: Professors V. Anand, J.B. Kerr, K. Korth; one representative from the Graduate Dean’s Student Advisory Board
Non-Voting: Professor J. Ganson; Dr. S. Adams
SECRETARY: Ms. T. M. Fisher
GUESTS Professors F. Hagstrom, V. Richardson
The meeting was called to order at 2:00 p.m. by Chair Patricia Koski
- Minutes for the February 25th, 2016, Graduate Council meeting stand approved, as no changes were suggested. (The minutes of the Graduate Council may be found at http://grad.uark.edu/dean/gradcouncil/minutes).
- Professor Koski reported that the graduate school and international education components of the Graduate School and International Education met with Chancellor Steinmetz in two separate meetings this week; Professor Koski expressed appreciation for Dr. Steinmetz taking the time for this listening tour.
- Professor Koski reported that the Academic Appeals Committee heard a full grievance this month. She thanked the Committee for their service to the University. There were no other committee reports.
- There was no old business.
New Business, Program Changes
- Professor V. Richardson proposed to offer the Master of Accountancy degree (ACCTMA) on-line. This would be offered in addition to the existing face-to-face program. (Note: After the meeting, the Council approved, by e-mail, a proposal to allow the program to be offered in a hybrid manner as well.)
- Professor F. Hagstrom proposed to offer a Doctor of Occupational Therapy degree in the Department of Health, Human Performance and Recreation in the College of Education and
Following discussion all program proposals were approved unanimously and will go next to the Faculty Senate. These program changes may be viewed at https://nextcatalog.uark.edu/programadmin/). Program proposals are also listed in Attachment A.
- Professor Koski presented for information only the creation of the Honors Graduate Fellows program. This will allow Honors College seniors, under existing rules, to begin work on a graduate degree. There will be a selective process for students to be admitted to this designation. The Council expressed concern about potential effects on the finishing of the honors thesis and possible disruptions to the undergraduate GPA required for graduation with Latin honors. These concerns will be addressed in the selection of fellows. (See Attachment B.)
- The course change reports listed in Attachment C were approved unanimously.
- The graduate faculty recommendations contained in Attachment D were approved unanimously.
There being no other business, the Council adjourned at 2:33 p.m. The Council will meet next on Thursday, April 21st, 2016, in the Upchurch Conference Room of Bell Engineering.
Submitted by: Patricia R. Koski, Chair
Approved by: Kim Needy, Dean