May 18, 2017
Voting: Professors J.R. Chimka, J. Gigantino, R. Kali, K. Korth, J.W. Murry, J.C. Rupe, R. Warren; Mr. M. Christie; Ms. L. Morse
Non-Voting: Professors A.E. Ellstrand, P.R. Koski, K. Sloan
Voting: Professors T.P. Cronan N.D. Dennis, P.K. Dowe, V.H. Hunt, K.L. Needy; Second representative from the College of Education and Health Professions
Non-Voting: Professors M.R. Evans, L.L. Lennertz, J. Penner-Williams; Dr. S. Adams
Secretary: Ms. T. M. Fisher
GUESTS Professor J. Webb; Ms. M. Smith
The meeting was called to order at 2:00 p.m. by Chair Patricia Koski
- Minutes for the April 20th, 2017, Graduate Council meeting stand approved, as no changes were suggested. (Graduate Council Minutes).
- Professor Koski congratulated Professor J. Gigantino and K. Sloan on receiving Faculty and Administration Allies of the Year, respectively, from the Graduate Student Congress.
- Professor Koski recognized departing Council member, Professor Ron Warren, and thanked him for his service as a member of the Council, member of the Academic Appeals Committee, and graduate faculty representative. Professor Koski also thanked the four student members of the Graduate Council and Academic Appeals Committee: Martin Christie, Jama Grove, Scout Johnson, and Leah Morse. Professor Koski noted that the Council will not meet again until August, unless there is a need for an emergency vote.
- There was no old business
- New Business: Professor J. Webb and Ms. M. Smith presented a proposal to offer a Master of Design Studies (DSGNMDS in the Fay Jones School of Architecture and Design. Following questions, the proposal was approved unanimously and will go next to the Faculty Senate. Attachment A and Attachment B contain information about the proposal.
- The Council unanimously approved removing the phrase “Students who enter a graduate certificate program may use up to six hours of course work taken previously at the University of Arkansas…” as shown in Attachment C. This will also require Faculty Senate approval.
- The course change report from the University Course and Programs Committee was unanimously approved (Attachment D).
- The graduate faculty recommendations contained in Attachment E were unanimously approved.
There being no other business, the Council adjourned at 2:27 p.m. The Council will meet next on Thursday, August 17th, at 2:00 p.m., in the Upchurch Conference Room of Bell Engineering.