January 18, 2018
Voting: Professors J.R. Chimka, T.P. Cronan, N.D. Dennis, P.K. Dowe, J. Gigantino, V.H. Hunt, J.W. Murry, K.L. Needy, J.C. Rupe, A. Zajicek; Mr. M. Christie
Non-Voting: Professors A.E. Ellstrand, J. Hulen, P.R. Koski, K. Mamiseishvili
Voting: Professors R. Costrell, R. Kali, K. Korth; second student representative
Non-Voting: Professors M.R. Evans, L.L. Lennertz; Dr. S. Adams
SECRETARY: Ms. T. M. Fisher
GUESTS Professors J. Balda, S. Dittmore
The meeting was called to order at 2:00 p.m. by Chair Patricia Koski
- Minutes for the December 14th, 2017, Graduate Council meeting stand approved, as no changes were suggested. (Graduate Council Minutes).
- Dean Needy updated the Council on the search for the Vice Provost for Research, which will now be an external search.
- Professor Koski announced that the Academic Appeals Committee met the day before and heard two cases.
- Old Business: At the December meeting, Professor J. Chimka presented a proposal from the Department of Industrial Engineering to modify the Ph.D. degree (INEGPH) by adding an additional Qualifier Exam. Following discussion, the proposal was tabled with requests for further information. At this meeting, Professor Chimka explained that the Department reconsidered this request and now wishes to have a two-part candidacy exam, with the first part consisting of a standardized exam and the second part a defense of the dissertation proposal. The Council approved this request.
New Business, program change proposals: Each of the following was approved unanimously
and will go next to the Faculty Senate.
- Professor J. Balda presented a proposal to modify the admissions requirements for the Master of Science degree (ELEGMS) by waiving the GRE requirement for students seeking the M.S.E.E. degree through distance education. Other conditions will be set for students seeking admission to the program.
- Professor S. Dittmore presented a proposal to modify the Kinesiology Pedagogy concentration in the Ph.D. degree in Health, Sport and Exercise Science (HSESPH-PDGY) by replacing nine hours of courses with PHED 5253 and PHED 5273 and three additional hours of electives.
- Professor S. Dittmore presented a proposal to modify the M.Ed. degree in Physical Education (PHEDME) by replacing ESRM 5393 with PHED 5803; removing six hours of electives and replacing them with PHED 5553 and PHED 5313; and replacing KINS 605V with PHED 6723.
- The course change report from the University Course and Programs Committee was unanimously approved (Attachment B).
- The graduate faculty recommendations contained in Attachment C were unanimously approved.
- The graduate faculty recommendations contained in Attachment D were denied.
There being no other business, the Council adjourned at 3:06 p.m. The Council will meet next on Thursday, February 15th at 2:00 p.m., in the Upchurch Conference Room of Bell Engineering.
Submitted by: Patricia R. Koski, Chair
Approved by: Kim Needy, Dean