May 17, 2018
Voting: Professors T.P. Cronan, N.D. Dennis, J. Gigantino, V.H. Hunt, R. Kali, K. Korth, J.W. Murry, K.L. Needy, A. Zajicek
Non-Voting: Professors J. Durdik, A.E. Ellstrand, P.R. Koski, L.L. Lennertz; K. Mamiseishvili, L. Robertson
Voting: Professors J.R. Chimka, R. Costrell, P.K. Dowe, J.C. Rupe; two representatives from the Graduate Student Congress
Non-Voting: Dr. L.L. Lander
GUESTS: Professors M. Butler, L. Foley
SECRETARY: Ms. T. M. Fisher
The meeting was called to order at 2:00 p.m. by Chair Patricia Koski
- Professor Koski amended the agenda to include a new item 6 on the transfer credit policy.
- Minutes for the April 19th, 2018, Graduate Council meeting stand approved, as no changes were suggested. (Graduate Council Minutes).
- Dean Needy provided an update on the search for the Vice Provost for Research and Innovation and on the selection of finalists in the Chancellor’s innovation funding program. It is expected that candidates for the VPRI position will be on campus for interviews during the weeks of June 11 and June 18th, 2018.
- There was no old business.
- Professor L. Foley presented a proposal to modify the Master of Arts degree in Journalism (JOURMA) by changing the requirement that six hours of course work must be taken outside of journalism to allowing this as an option.
- Professor M. Butler presented a proposal to delete the Clinical Nurse Specialist concentration in the Master of Science in Nursing degree (NURSMS-CNSP).
- The current Graduate Council policy on transfer credit has this statement: “The student desiring to transfer graduate credit must have been enrolled as a graduate student in the graduate school at the institution offering the course.” Following extensive discussion, the Council voted unanimously to strike this sentence.
- The course change report from the University Course and Programs Committee was unanimously approved (Attachment B).
- The graduate faculty recommendations contained in Attachment C were approved by a vote of seven in favor and two opposed.
Following discussion, both program proposals were approved unanimously and will go next to the Faculty Senate. Program and Unit Changes page by clicking on "Program Management." The proposals are also in Attachment A.
There being no other business, the Council adjourned at 2:45 p.m. The Council will meet next on Thursday, August 16th at 2:00 p.m., in the Upchurch Conference Room of Bell Engineering.
Submitted by: Patricia R. Koski, Chair
Approved by: Kim Needy, Dean