Graduate Council Agenda
Thursday, November 17, 2016
Upchurch Conference Room, Bell Engineering
- Minutes for the October 27th, 2016, Graduate Council meeting will stand approved if no corrections are received. (Please review the Graduate Council Minutes).
- Old Business: Change to graduate faculty classifications: Proposal to change faculty with the title of instructor from temporary to permanent graduate faculty status. Currently, only tenured/tenure-track faculty plus professors, associate professors and assistant professors with Research and Clinical as modifiers are allowed to have permanent graduate faculty status. We are proposing to change that rule so that only lecturers, adjunct, and visiting faculty have temporary graduate faculty status; all other categories have permanent status.
New Business, Program Changes for the following degree programs are being proposed.
Details may be found in
Fulbright College of Arts and Sciences
) Department of English:
- proposal to modify the M.A. degree in English (ENGLMA), several changes
- proposal to modify the Ph.D. degree in English (ENGLPH), several changes
- ) Department of Geosciences, proposal to modify the M.S. degree in Geography (GEOGMS) by updating the list of quantitative and computational electives required for the degree.
- ) Department of History, proposal to modify the M.A. degree in History (HISTMA) and to change catalog copy
- ) Department of Music, proposal to modify the Master of Music degree (MUSCMM)
) Department of Music, proposal to modify the following concentrations in
the Master of Music degree (MUSCMM):
- Music Composition Concentration (MUSCMM – CMPM):
- Music Choral Conducting Concentration (MUSCMM – MCCM);
- Music History Concentration (MUSCMM- MHSM);
- Music Instrumental Conducting Concentration (MUSCMM – MICM):
- Music Theory Concentration (MUSCMM – MTHM).
- ) Department of Political Science, proposal to modify the Master of Public Administration degree (PADMMP) by replacing the traditional comprehensive exam with a portfolio requirement
- ) Department of Physics, proposal to eliminate the MA degree (PHYSMA)
- ) Department of English:
- Walton College of Business, Proposal to add a concentration in Executive Healthcare to the MBA degree (BADMMB-EHLC).
College of Education and Health Professions
) Department of Curriculum and Instruction
- Proposal to eliminate the GRE as an admission requirement for the graduate certificate in Applied Behavior Analysis (APBAGC)
- Proposal to eliminate the GRE as an admission requirement for the graduate certificate in Autism Spectrum Disorders (AUTSGC).
- ) Department of Education Reform, Proposal to modify course requirements for the Ph.D. degree in Education Policy (EDPOPH) by eliminating ECON 6613/AGEC 5613 from the list of required courses and replacing this requirement with ECON 6623, Econometrics II.
- ) Department of Rehabilitation, Human Resources and Communication Disorders, proposal to merge the Ph.D. degree in Rehabilitation and the Ph.D. degree in Counselor Education. The Ph.D. degree in Rehabilitation will be eliminated and the requirements for the Ph.D. degree in Counselor Education will be modified.
- ) Department of Curriculum and Instruction
- College of Engineering, Department of Industrial Engineering, Proposal to create a new Master of Science degree in Engineering Management (EMGTMS)
Graduate School, Proposal to modify concentrations in Public Policy (PUBPPH):
- Environmental Policy concentration – Delete
- Community Development and Recreation Policy – Change name (PUBPPH-CDRP)
- Disability Policy Concentration – Delete (PUBPPH–DSPO)
- Education Policy Concentration – Change catalog copy only, no program changes (PUBPPH-EDPO)
- Family Policy Concentration – Change catalog copy only, no program changes (PUBPPH-FMPO)
- Health Policy Concentration – Change catalog copy only, no program changes (PUBPPH-HLPO)
- Public Policy Leadership Concentration – Change name to Public Policy Management (PUBPPH-PPMG)
- Policy Studies in Aging Concentration- Change catalog copy only, no program changes (PUBPPH-PSIA)
- Recreation Policy – delete (combined previously with Community Development Policy) (PUBPPH-RCPO)
- Transportation Policy – delete (PUBPPH – TRPPO)
- Fulbright College of Arts and Sciences
- New Business, Transfer Credit Policy: See proposed changes in Attachment B.
- Discussion: Should we require background checks for all graduate assistants? Current university policy for faculty and staff is contained in Attachment C.
- Discussion: Should summer enrollment be required for post-candidacy doctoral students?
- Course change reports from the University Course and Programs Committee (UCPC) (Attachment D).
- Graduate faculty recommendations for graduate assistants: A preliminary list is attached (Attachment E). A complete list will be distributed at the meeting.
- Graduate faculty recommendations for faculty: A preliminary list is attached (Attachment F). A complete list will be distributed at the meeting.