April 18 Minutes
April 18, 2019
Voting: Professors T.P. Cronan, N.D. Dennis, A.G.P. Dowling, J. Gigantino, C. Hestekin, V. H. Hunt, J.B. Kerr, K.L. Needy, J.C. Rupe, A. Zajicek; Ms. M. Johnson
Non-Voting: Professors A.E. Ellstrand, P.R. Koski, K. Mamiseishvili
Voting: Professors V.P. Anand, R. Costrell, J.W. Murry; one representative from the Graduate and Professional Student Congress
Non-Voting: Professors L.L. Lennertz, L.J. Robertson; Dr. L. Lander
GUESTS Professors J. Aloysius, C. Cassell, G. Ferrier, M. Hevel, R. Kali, W. Lee
SECRETARY: Terri M. Fisher
The meeting was called to order at 2:00 p.m. by Chair Patricia Koski.
- 1. Minutes for the March 14th, 2019, Graduate Council meeting stand approved, as no changes were suggested. (Graduate Council Minutes)
Professor Koski made these announcements:
- A new administrative unit, the IDEALS Institute of the University of Arkansas, has been proposed.
- A new off-campus instruction center in Little Rock for the Walton College has been proposed.
- A new administrative unit, the Arkansas Humanities Center, has been proposed in the Fulbright College.
- The name of the Center for Continuing Education and Academic Outreach is being changed to the Global Campus.
- The Faculty Senate has not yet approved our proposal to allow any graduate faculty status based on qualifying experience.
- Professor Koski amended the agenda to include a discussion item on the published paper option for the thesis/dissertation.
- There was no old business.
The following program changes were approved unanimously and will go next to the Faculty
Senate. The presenters are noted in parentheses.
- Proposal to eliminate the post-master’s certificate in Educational Measurement (EDMEMC)(Professor M. Hevel).
- Proposal to modify the Ph.D. degree in Electrical Engineering (ELEGPH) by replacing the qualifier exam and reducing the number of course hours required for the degree (Professor N. Dennis).
- Proposal to modify the Ph.D. degree in Industrial Engineering (INEGPH) by reducing from 54 to 42 the required hours past the master’s degree and clarifying that 21 of those hours should be course work. Also, clarified catalog language about the qualifier exam requirement (Professor N. Dennis).
- Proposal to modify the Ph.D. degree in Accounting (ACCTPH) by clarifying catalog language and making curricular changes (Professor C. Cassell).
- Proposal to modify the Ph.D. degree in Economics (ECONPH) by clarifying catalog language and making curricular changes (Professor G. Ferrier).
- Proposal to modify the Ph.D. degree in Finance (FINNPH) by clarifying catalog language and making curricular changes (Professor W. Lee).
- Proposal to modify the Ph.D. degree in Supply Chain Management (SCMTPH) by clarifying catalog language and making curricular changes (Professor J. Aloysius).
- Proposal to create a new master’s degree program in Economic Analytics (ECONMS) (Professor R. Kali).
- Professor A. Ellstrand presented some proposed changes to the Graduate Student Grievance Policy for the Graduate School of Business (Attachment B). The proposal was unanimously approved.
- Professor Koski presented some proposed changes to the Grade Appeal Process for Graduate Students (Attachment C). Following discussion, this proposal was tabled.
- Council members reported from constituencies about this question: “Should we allow transfer credit for doctoral degrees based on the same rules as transfer credit for master’s degrees?” Following these reports, Professor Koski asked Council members to poll their constituencies about allowing all graded course work for the doctoral degree to transfer into the program, at program discretion.
- The Council considered the question of whether the Graduate School should have a policy about the use of copy editors in theses and dissertations. Following discussion, it was agreed that the Council members will poll their constituencies.
- The Council considered the question of whether a student may submit a published paper as part of the thesis/dissertation if the student was not responsible for the majority of the work. After discussion, and without resolution, Professor Koski said that she will bring this issue before the Council again in the fall.
- The course change reports contained in Attachment D were approved unanimously.
- The graduate faculty recommendations contained in Attachment E were approved unanimously
There being no other business, the Council adjourned at 3:29 p.m. The Council will meet next in August.