February 21, 2019
Voting: Professors N.D. Dennis, A.G.P. Dowling, J. Gigantino, V. H. Hunt, J.B. Kerr, K.L. Needy, J.C. Rupe, A. Zajicek; Ms. M. Johnson; Ms. K. Moergen
Non-Voting: Professors P.R. Koski, L.L. Lennertz, L.J. Robertson
Voting: Professors V.P. Anand, R. Costrell, T.P. Cronan, C. Hestekin, J.W. Murry
Non-Voting: Professor A.E. Ellstrand, L.L. Lander, K. Mamiseishvili
GUESTS Professors J. Bonacci, P. Calleja, M. Hevel, T.E.C. Smith
SECRETARY: Terri M. Fisher
The meeting was called to order at 2:00 p.m. by Chair Patricia Koski.
- Minutes for the December 13th, 2018, Graduate Council meeting stand approved, as no changes were suggested. (Graduate Council Minutes)
- Dean Needy talked about the recent annual meeting of the Conference of Southern Graduate Schools in Knoxville, TN. Faculty, staff and students from the University of Arkansas participated in those meetings in a variety of ways and we were well represented. Professor Koski also mentioned that Dean Needy is now the President of the organization and in her capacity as president-elect, was responsible for the program in Knoxville
- Professor N.D. Dennis explained that a revision to Academic Policy Series 1622.11 had been approved by the Faculty Senate and not yet put into effect. This will now be in effect. (Attachment A).
- There was no old business.
The following program changes were approved and will go next to the Faculty Senate.
The presenters are noted in parentheses.
- Proposal to modify the M.Ed. degree in Special Education (SPEDME) by making changes to the curriculum (Professor T.E.C. Smith)
- Proposal to modify the Master of Athletic Training (ATTRMA) degree by making changes to the admissions and curriculum requirements and including an academic retention policy (Professor J. Bonacci)
- Proposal to modify the Ed.D. degree in Higher Education (HIEDED) by making curricular changes (Professor M. Hevel)
- Professor Koski clarified with the Council that since professional doctoral programs typically require a final project or exam rather than a dissertation, it makes sense to have different rules for the project/exam committee than for the dissertation committee. The Council agreed. It should be noted that it is likely that the composition of the project or final exam committee might differ from program to program.
- Professor Koski raised for discussion the issue of whether we should allow transfer credit for doctoral degrees. The Council asked her to find out what peer institutions do before taking this to their constituencies.
- Discussion: May faculty without the terminal degree be awarded group 1 or group 2 graduate faculty status based on qualifying experience? Higher Learning Commission (HLC) rules do allow this, with some requirements. The Council would like to see a proposed application form before deciding, in order to ensure that all of the HLC requirements have been included. This will be placed on the March agenda as a voting item.
- The graduate faculty recommendations contained in Attachment C were approved
There being no other business, the Council adjourned at 2:47 p.m. The Council will meet next on Thursday, March 21st at 2:00 p.m. in the Upchurch Conference Room of Bell Engineering.