December 19th, 2019
Voting: Professors P.C. Calleja, N.D. Dennis, A.G.P. Dowling, J. Gigantino, V. H. Hunt, J.W. Murry, K.L. Needy, J.C. Rupe, J.D. Webb, A. Zajicek; Ms. A. Phillips; Mr. S. Ownby
Non-Voting: Professors A.E. Ellstrand, P.R. Koski, K. Mamiseishvili, L.J. Robertson
Voting: Professors V.P. Anand, T.P. Cronan, C. Hestekin, J.B. Kerr
Non-Voting: Professors J. Hulen, L.L. Lennertz; Dr. L.M. Yingling
SECRETARY Terri Fisher
GUESTS Professors F. Davidson, J. Endacott, M. Johnson, M.D. Rossetti
The meeting was called to order at 2:00 p.m. by Chair Patricia Koski.
- Minutes for the November 21st, 2019, Graduate Council meeting stand approved, as no changes were suggested. (Graduate Council Minutes)
- Dean Needy reported to the Council from the recent conference of the Council of Graduate Schools, particularly with regard to our Ph.D. Career Pathways project and a new effort focused on graduate student mental well-being. She also announced that we have hired the new Director of the Office of Graduate and International Recruitment and Admissions, with the retirement of long-time director, Lynn Mosesso. The new director will begin in March.
- Old Business: The Council approved a proposal to completely modify the curriculum for the Ed.S. degree in Curriculum and Instruction (CIEDES) with the removal of the statement that students must remain continuously enrolled.
- New Business: The following program proposals were approved unanimously and will go
next to the Faculty Senate for vote (presenter’s name is in parentheses)
- Department of Geosciences, proposal to modify the Ph.D. degree (GEOSPH) by changing curricular requirements and removing GRE score minimums for admissions (Professor F. Davidson
- Department of History (Professor J. Gigantino)
- Proposal to modify the M.A. degree (HISTMA) by changing curricular requirements.
- Proposal to modify the Ph.D. degree (HISTPH) by changing curricular requirements
- Department of Mathematical Sciences, proposal to modify the Ph.D. degree (MATHPH) by modifying the qualifying examination for the math education concentration (Professor M. Johnson).
- Department of Health, Human Performance and Recreation, proposal to modify the master of science degree in Kinesiology (KINSMS) by changing the name to Exercise Science (EXSCMS), inactivating the concentration in Adapted Movement Science (KINSMS-ADMS) and Exercise Science (KINSMS-EXSC), and modifying application requirements (Professor P. Calleja).
Department of Industrial Engineering (Professor M. Rossetti)
- Proposal to modify the master of science degree (INEGMS) by creating an option for six graduate credit hours to count towards the BSIE and the MSIE.
- Proposal to create a master of science degree in Operations Analytics (OPANMS).
- The Council reported from their constituencies on the proposed student dismissal policy contained in Attachment B. Two changes were requested: a) the addition of language to tie dismissal policies to professional standards and b) to make clear that students may appeal departmental decisions, within the department, on the grounds of either substance or procedure
- The course change reports contained in Attachment C were approved unanimously.
- The graduate faculty recommendations contained in Attachment D were approved unanimously.
There being no other business, the Council adjourned at 2:47 p.m. The Council will meet next on January 16th, 2020 at 2:00 p.m.