January 17, 2019
Voting: Professors V. Anand, N.D. Dennis, A.G.P. Dowling, J. Gigantino, V. H. Hunt, J.B. Kerr, J.W. Murry, K.L. Needy, J.C. Rupe, A. Zajicek; Ms. M. Johnson; Ms. K. Moergen
Non-Voting: Professors A.E. Ellstrand, P.R. Koski, L.L. Lander, K. Mamiseishvili, L.J. Robertson
Voting: Professors T.P. Cronan, R. Costrell
Non-Voting: Professor L.L. Lennertz
GUESTS Professor J. Endacott; Ms. L. Mosesso
SECRETARY: Terri M. Fisher
The meeting was called to order at 2:00 p.m. by Chair Patricia Koski.
- Two new members of the Council were introduced: Professor Vikas Anand representing the Walton College of Business and Ms. Kristie Moergen, representing the Graduate and Professional Student Congress.
- Minutes for the December 13th, 2018, Graduate Council meeting stand approved, as no changes were suggested. (Graduate Council Minutes)
- Dean Needy discussed the implications of the government shutdown for the University of Arkansas; mentioned that the University has identified three signature research areas; and updated the Council on the Strategic Enrollment Management plan under development.
- There was no old business.
The following program changes were approved and will go next to the Faculty Senate.
The presenters and vote are noted in parentheses.
- Proposal to modify the Ph.D. degree in Curriculum and Instruction (CIEDPH) by making curricular changes (J. Endacott; one abstention).
- Proposal to modify the Ed.D. Degree in Higher Education (HIEDED) by making curricular changes (K. Mamiseishvili; unanimous).
- Discussion: Should evidence of academic integrity violations be a factor in denying admission to the Graduate School? Following reports from constituencies, it became clear that: 1) there was general approval for this being used as a possible reason for denying admission, but 2) only by the department/program (not the Graduate School) and 3) only if the student has a chance to respond to the charges.
- Discussion: May faculty without the terminal degree be awarded group 1 or group 2 graduate faculty status based on qualifying experience? There was considerable discussion but no consensus has yet been reached, although the Council does seem in favor of awarding group 2 graduate faculty status based on qualifying experience.
- The course change report from the University Course and Programs Committee was unanimously approved (Attachment B).
- The graduate faculty recommendations contained in Attachment C were approved
There being no other business, the Council adjourned at 2:58 p.m. The Council will meet next on Thursday, February 21st at 2:00 p.m., in the Upchurch Conference Room of Bell Engineering.