April 16th, 2020
Voting: Professors P.C. Calleja, T.P. Cronan, N.D. Dennis, A.G.P. Dowling, J. Gigantino, C. Hestekin, V. H. Hunt, J.B. Kerr, J.W. Murry, K.L. Needy, J.C. Rupe, J.D. Webb, A. Zajicek; Ms. A. Phillips; Ms. A. Robero
Non-Voting: Professors A.E. Ellstrand, L.L. Lennertz, K. Mamiseishvili, L.J. Robertson, P.R. Koski
Voting: Professors V.P. Anand
Non-Voting: Professors J. Hulen; Dr. L.M. Yingling
SECRETARY Terri Fisher
GUESTS Professor J. Subbiah; Ms. P. Gamboa
- Minutes for the March 19thth, 2020, Graduate Council meeting stand approved, as no changes were suggested. (Graduate Council Minutes) [Note: The Council did not meet in March, but voted by email.]
- Dr. Needy thanked the efforts of the members to move forward with the pass/NC proposal for spring 2020. She also shared some concerns about fall 2020 enrollment, particularly with international students, due to COVID-19 issues. Dean Needy introduced Patty Gamboa, the new Director of Admissions and International Education, replacing Lynn Mosesso.
Professor P. Koski made announcements/asked for clarification on the following items:
- She asked the graduate faculty representatives to ensure that the new graduate faculty application is used from now going forward. This will be used for both adjunct and graduate faculty applications for faculty. The GA application will remain the same as previously used.
- Applicants without the terminal degree must have a departmental vote prior to submission to the Provost’s Office. [Note – this will be true even for those faculty teaching below 50%.]
- The Graduate Council will not meet again until August.
- She asked the Council if they have any concerns about the move to online and at-home proctoring being offered by some standardized test administrators. The Council had no concerns.
- Professor Koski requested approval to vote by email on GA applications for graduate faculty status, indefinitely. This was approved unanimously.
New Business: The following program proposals were approved unanimously and will
go next to the Faculty Senate for vote (presenter’s name is in parentheses):
- Proposal to modify the Master of Science degree in Food Science (FDSCMS) by modifying admission requirements and adding a statement that students must enroll in FDSC 5001 Seminar twice (Professor J. Subbiah)
- Proposal to modify the Ph.D. degree in Food Science (FDSCPH) by modifying admission requirements, adding a statement that students must enroll in FDSC 5001 Seminar twice, and adjusting the number of hours of credit required for students entering the program with a BS degree – adding 12 hours of credit required for these students to meet ADHE requirements (Professor J. Subbiah)
- Proposal to modify the Ph.D. degree in Public Policy (PUBPPH-FMPO) by deleting the Family Policy concentration (Professor J.B. Kerr)
- The Council approved (with one abstention) a proposal to change the graduate faculty representatives of the Graduate Council from elected members to the Associate Dean for the College who serves in the ex officio or elected role with the Council. This will be effective July 1, 2020. [Note: graduate faculty representative refers to the member of the Council who has the role of approving graduate faculty applications for one’s college before sending them to the Graduate Council. This function will be transferred to the Associate Dean serving in the elected or ex-officio role with the Graduate Council but will not change the membership of the Council.]
- The Council continued the discussion about whether to develop a mechanism by which students could earn two doctoral degrees simultaneously. The student representatives reported back from the Graduate-Professional Student Congress, with several issues relevant to this discussion. However, it appeared that the student concerns could more easily be met with micro-certificates or graduate certificates and the Council decide to let this issue drop for now.
- The course change reports contained in Attachment B were approved unanimously.
- The graduate faculty recommendations contained in Attachment C were approved unanimously.
The meeting was called to order at 2:00 p.m. by Chair Patricia Koski.
There being no other business, the Council adjourned at 3:09 p.m. The Council will meet next on August 20th, 2020 at 2:00 p.m.