August 20th, 2020
Faculty representatives: Professors V. Anand, P.C. Calleja, T.P. Cronan, N.D.
Dennis, A.G.P. Dowling, J. Gigantino, C. Hestekin, V. H. Hunt, J.B. Kerr, J.W. Murry,
K.L. Needy, J.C. Rupe, J.D. Webb
Student representative: Mr. J. DiLoreto-Hill
Non-Voting: Professors A.E. Ellstrand, A. Gonzalez, P.R. Koski, K. Mamiseishvili, L.J. Robertson, A. Zajicek
Faculty representative: Professor L. Hinrichsen
Student representative: Ms. K. Dzurilla
Non-Voting: Division of Student Affairs representative: Dr. L.M. Yingling
SECRETARY Terri Fisher
GUESTS Ms. P. Gamboa
The meeting was called to order at 2:00 p.m. by Chair Patricia Koski.
- Minutes for the April 16th, 2020, Graduate Council meeting stand approved, as no changes were suggested. (Graduate Council Minutes).
- Professor Koski introduced new members to the Council: Dr. Lisa Hinrichsen, representing Fulbright College; Mr. J. DiLoreto-Hill and Ms. K. Dzurilla representing the Graduate-Professional Student Congress; and Ms. A. Gonzalez representing the University Libraries. Professor Koski also noted that Professor J. Rupe and J. Murry accepted another term on the Council; and Professor A. Zajicek moved from a position as a voting member to the ex-officio representative and graduate faculty representative for Fulbright College.
- Dr. Needy expressed the importance of communication to all of our constituencies during these difficult times and also announced that she is extending to spring 2021 the relaxation of the requirement for standardized exams for admission to the Graduate School, upon program request. This is a result of the continuing issues with COVID-19.
- The Council approved the selection of Professor J. Gigantino to the Calendar Committee and Professor P. Cronan to the University Course and Programs Committee.
- The Council approved unanimously the creation of a non-degree category of graduate micro-certificates with one change to the proposal (see Attachment A).
- The Council approved unanimously the modification of the policy on graduate certificates to accommodate micro-certificates (Attachment B).
- The Council approved by a vote of 14 in favor and one abstention, a change to the voting membership of the Council to increase the representation from the Graduate-Professional Student Congress from two to four seats, two of which must be assigned to the President and Vice President of the Black Graduate Students Association.
- The course change reports contained in Attachment C were approved unanimously.
- The graduate faculty recommendations contained in Attachment D were approved unanimously. Also attached (Attachment E). are the graduate faculty applications approved via email over the summer.
There being no other business, the Council adjourned at 3:06 p.m. The Council will meet next in a virtual format on September 17th, 2020 at 2:00 p.m.