February 20th, 2020
Voting: Professors V.P. Anand, N.D. Dennis, J. Gigantino, V. H. Hunt, J.W. Murry, K.L. Needy, J.C. Rupe, J.D. Webb, A. Zajicek; Ms. A. Phillips; Ms. A. Romero
Non-Voting: Professors A.E. Ellstrand, L.L. Lennertz, P.R. Koski
Voting: Professors P.C. Calleja, T.P. Cronan, A.G.P. Dowling
Non-Voting: Professors J. Hulen, K. Mamiseishvili, L.J. Robertson; Dr. L.M. Yingling
SECRETARY Terri Fisher
GUESTS Professors F. Bowles, M. Hale, M. Hevel, L. Vandermark
The meeting was called to order at 2:00 p.m. by Chair Patricia Koski.
- Minutes for the January 16thth, 2020, Graduate Council meeting stand approved, as no changes were suggested. (Graduate Council Minutes)
- Professor P. Koski announce that Dean Needy was the featured speaker in a Webinar on international enrollment hosted by the Council of Graduate Schools.
- New Business: The following program proposals were approved unanimously and will go
next to the Faculty Senate for vote (presenter’s name is in parentheses):
- Proposal to modify the Master of Athletic Training program (ATTRMA) by deleting EXSC 3393 and EXSC 3353 as program prerequisites, adding several new program prerequisites, adding ATTR 5253 as a required course, and increasing overall program hours by three (Professor L. Vandermark);
- Proposal to change the doctoral program in Higher Education (HIEDED) from an Ed.D. to a Ph.D. including changes to course requirements (Professor M. Hevel);
- Proposal to delete the nurse educator concentration from the master of science degree in Nursing (NURSMS-NUED) (Professor P. Koski);
- Proposal to create a new master of science degree in Construction Management (CSMGMS) (Professor M. Hale)
- New Business: The proposal contained in Attachment B from the English as a Second Language Committee (EASL) was approved unanimously. The proposal will allow the Graduate School to accept for admissions purposes two additional measures of English language proficiency for non-native speakers of English and will allow one supplemental assessment. Professor F. Bowles attended as Co-Chair of the EASL Committee to answer questions.
- The Council discussed the potential interest in having a mechanism by which students could earn two doctoral degrees simultaneously. The representatives from GPSC were asked to poll students on their interest in such a policy.
- The Council was asked if they would support a change in policy by which graduate faculty representatives would become the associate deans from the academic colleges who serve on the Council. After discussion, we agreed to gather more information.
- The course change reports contained in Attachments C, D, E and F were approved unanimously. Course reports in Attachments G and H were for information only.
- The graduate faculty recommendations contained in Attachment I were approved unanimously.
There being no other business, the Council adjourned at 2:50 p.m. The Council will meet next on March 19th, 2020 at 2:00 p.m.