April 21st, 2022
Faculty representatives: Professors P.C Calleja, T.P. Cronan, A.P.G. Dowling, K. Hall, C. Harris, C. Hestekin, V. H. Hunt, J.W. Murry, C.R. Rom, J.C. Rupe, A. Stoverink, J.D. Webb, J. Whayne
Student representatives: Student representatives: Ms. K. Dzurilla
Professors A.E. Ellstrand, M.S. Ganio, J. Gigantino, A. Gonzalez, L.J. Robertson, A. Zajicek
Professor L. Hinrichsen
Student representatives: Ms. T. Kuykendall, Ms. C. Barnes
Professor E. Goodstein-Murphree
Division of Student Affairs representative: Dr. L.M. Yingling
Mr. Dakota Kalkstein
Professor G.S. Parnell and M. Leftwich
The meeting was called to order at 2:01 p.m. by Chair James Gigantino.
- Minutes for the March 17th, 2021, Graduate Council meeting stand approved, as no changes were suggested. (Graduate Council Minutes.)
- Dean’s Report: Professor C.R. Rom thanked the Council for their service over the past semester. Professor C.R. Rom went on to tell the Council about the new Strategic Communications and Marketing Director for the Graduate School & International Education, who will start June 1. Professor C.R. Rom then told the Council about the departure of the Graduate School & International Education’s Director of Development, Ms. Julie Olsen. Professor C.R. Rom told the Council about a recent visit that the Graduate School Deans made to The Collaborative, the Bentonville campus of the University of Arkansas that aims to satisfy the growing need for diverse talent in Northwestern Arkansas. Professor K. Hall asked Professor C.R. Rom about the goals for Graduate School enrollment, where then Professor C. R. Rom replied that there is not a specific number to be reached, but an overall goal to attain steady grow.
The following were approved unanimously and will go to Faculty Senate (the name
of the presenter is in parentheses):
College of Engineering, Department of Industrial Engineering, (Professor G.S.
- Proposal to modify the Operations Management Graduate Certificate (OPMGGC) by changing admission requirements.
Graduate School & International Education (Professor M. Leftwich)
- Proposal to modify the Doctor of Philosophy degree in Materials Science and Engineering (MSENPH) by modifying the candidacy exam.
- College of Engineering, Department of Industrial Engineering, (Professor G.S. Parnell)
- The Course change reports from the University Course and Programs Committee (UCPC) contained in Attachment B were approved unanimously.
- The Council discussed and unanimously approved the Graduate Faculty recommendations for faculty (Attachment C). Included in this attachment are recommendations and approved remotely via email since the March 17th, 2022, Graduate Council meeting.
- Other Business: Professor H. Hall volunteered to be recommended for elected service on the University Library Committee for 2022-2025
There being no other business, the Council adjourned at 2:26 p.m. The Council will meet next in a virtual format on August 18th, 2022.