Thursday, August 20th, 2015
Upchurch Conference Room, Bell Engineering
- Minutes for the May 21st, 2015, Graduate Council meeting will stand approved if no corrections are received. (Please review the Graduate Council Minutes) before the meeting. (Note: The Graduate Council did not meet in June and July.)
- Information Item: There will be a change in the Graduate Council membership terms for the College of Education and Health Professions, from four year to two year terms.
- Reminders of discussions for September Graduate Council meeting:
- Changing the nomination of student representatives to a variety of committees, including the Graduate Council and Academic Appeals Committee, from the Graduate Dean’s Student Advisory Board to the Graduate Student Congress
- If a program has been approved for students to “double count” some courses for both the undergraduate and graduate degrees, does the Council wish for both courses (on the undergraduate and graduate transcript) to show a grade, or to show a grade on the undergraduate transcript and a mark of CR on the graduate transcript? A motion was made and seconded to request that the grade show on both transcripts, but was tabled so that Council members may gather input from those programs who have been approved for this double counting.
- Report from the Academic Appeals Committee, the Teaching Effectiveness Advisory Committee, and the Library Committee.
- Old Business: Program in Environmental Dynamics, proposal to require four courses instead of three and to require three semesters of ENDY 6991 Colloquium, tabled at the May 21st meeting. At the request of the program, this proposal has been withdrawn.
- New Business, Policy Clarification: Graduate School policy allows courses used for graduate degree requirements to also count for a graduate certificate. What if the courses were used for an undergraduate degree and are being requested for the graduate certificate via retroactive graduate credit? Our retroactive graduate credit policy requires that the courses have not been used for another degree, but a graduate certificate is not a degree.
- Discussion: Should our retroactive graduate credit policy allow up to six hours to be used for graduate degree programs when those hours were already used for the undergraduate degree, at the request and discretion of the program?
- Course change reports from the University Course and Programs Committee (UCPC) (Attachment A).
- Graduate faculty recommendations for graduate assistants: A preliminary list is attached (Attachment B). A complete list will be distributed at the meeting.
- Graduate faculty recommendations for faculty: A preliminary list is attached (Attachment C). A complete list will be distributed at the meeting.
- Other Business