Thursday, September 17th, 2015
Upchurch Conference Room, Bell Engineering
- Minutes for the August 20th, 2015, Graduate Council meeting will stand approved if no corrections are received. (Please review the Graduate Council Minutes) before the meeting.
- Report from Committees:
- Academic Appeals
- Teaching Effectiveness Advisory Committee
- Old Business: None
- New Business:
Department of Industrial Engineering, College of Engineering, proposal for a waiver of two Graduate Council rules for shared master’s work for the MSIE degree with the Universidad Popular Autonoma De Estado De Puebla, Puebla, Mexico:
- Allow students in this program to transfer up to three courses for a maximum of nine UA credit hours for pre-vetted courses in industrial engineering from the Universidad (exception to the rule that only six hours may be transferred into master’s programs)
- Allow students to transfer course work from a foreign university (exception to the rule that discourages this)
Stage 1: Student takes course work at home institution for approximately one year for approximately 15 credit hours
Stage 2: Student takes course work at host institution (takes at least 15 hours for credit at host institution and transfers up to nine hours from stage 1 for Mexican students, takes up to nine hours for credit at host institution and uses at least 15 hours from stage 1 for US students)
Stage 3: Student completes master’s thesis (6+ credit hours of research) under the direction of a committee comprised of members from both institutions. After successful completion of stage 3, student will be awarded a UA MSIE degree.
- Discussion Items:
- Changing the nomination of student representatives to a variety of committees, including the Graduate Council and Academic Appeals Committee, from the Graduate Dean’s Student Advisory Board to the Graduate Student Congress
- If a program has been approved for students to “double count” some courses for both the undergraduate and graduate degrees, does the Council wish for both courses (on the undergraduate and graduate transcript) to show a grade, or to show a grade on the undergraduate transcript and a mark of CR on the graduate transcript? A motion was made and seconded to request that the grade show on both transcripts, but was tabled so that Council members may gather input from those programs who have been approved for this double counting.
- Should our retroactive graduate credit policy allow up to six hours to be used for graduate degree programs when those hours were already used for the undergraduate degree, at the request and discretion of the program?
- Graduate faculty recommendations for graduate assistants: A preliminary list is attached (Attachment A). A complete list will be distributed at the meeting.
- Graduate faculty recommendations for faculty: A preliminary list is attached (Attachment B). A complete list will be distributed at the meeting.
- Other Business