Thursday, January 15, 2015
Upchurch Conference Room, Bell Engineering
To assist council members in locating and reviewing Graduate Council agenda items in the CourseLeaf system, please review the instructions for Viewing Course and Program Proposals Pending Graduate Council Approval.
- Minutes for the December 18th, 2014, Graduate Council meeting will stand approved if no corrections are received. (Please review the minutes on the Graduate School web page before the meeting: http://www.uark.edu/grad).
- Report from the Academic Appeals Committee, the Teaching Effectiveness Advisory Committee, and the Library Committee.
- Old Business: None
Note: All program changes and program proposals may be viewed at https://nextcatalog.uark.edu/programadmin/
- New Business, Program Changes, College of Education and Health Professions, Department of Education Reform: Proposal to modify the Ph.D. degree in Education Policy (EDPOPH) by deleting the requirement for EDFD 5353, requiring EDRE 5053, deleting the requirement for ECON 7723 and requiring EDRE 6103 instead. Also, ECON 5613 will become ECON 6613.
- New Business, Program Deletion, Graduate School: Proposal to delete the graduate certificate in Public Service at the Clinton School (UACSCT). We have never had any enrollment in this program.
- Discussion: ADHE requires a “minimum of 30 semester credit hours beyond the bachelor’s degree that includes 50 percent graduate-only semester hours in the field of study.” We require six hours of thesis, which is also currently the maximum number of thesis hours that will count toward the degree. This effectively requires a minimum of 24 graded course hours. However, there is no explicit rule about the minimum number of hours that are required, and theoretically a program could request that all 30 hours of the “semester credit hours” be in thesis credit. Should we create a policy about this?
- Course change reports from the University Course and Programs Committee (UCPC)
- Graduate faculty recommendations for faculty: A preliminary list is attached (Attachment A). A complete list will be distributed at the meeting.
- Other Business